Chapter 2: Carnivore Cruise

You are all now level 2.

A few weeks have passed since your last adventure and you get word that Michael wants to see you guys again. The town has really started to bustle and settle into it's new capacity. The economy has grown with the advent of new businesses and talents of the newer arrivals. It seems like almost everyday welcomes a new person. With the new defenses, tensions have eased and a new sense of happiness has been ushered in. While the regular citizens aren't aware that you are responsible for much of this, but the members of the All-Stars are well aware, and you've become a bit of a minor celebrity among them. They often buy you drinks and seek out your company.

You visit Michael.

How's it going guys? Good to see ya.

Anyway, this town has really grown since your last adventure. Not only that, but we've heard tale of other towns starting to form. I think we all thought we were the only ones, but with an event as big as the one you pulled off, and the radio signal, people seem to have hope again.

But it's not all good news boys. Word is there's some sort of new creature that the Arrived have been developing. And it ain't friendly. Been hearing tales of it for a while now, but figured it was just guys scared out of their minds making shit up. Then one of my generals, Rico, came back. Shook up. Talking about an Arrived Monster. Huge. Killed 6 men.

I just can't believe he'd be wrong about something like this. We're gonna get you guys to Mundo. New township popped up there. They've evidently built like a steamboat that can take you across the Salton Sea to La Qunita where the beast is. He's holed up in an old resort there.

Thing is, I don't really trust these new townships. Everyone seems to have their own agenda. So I'd suggest creating fake identities so no one knows who you truly are. Might make you a target. Either way, head down to your buggies whenever you're ready. I've had them prepared for you. Assuming you guys are up for the task.ks?
Horace

Comments

• DSDS Offishal
    I am up for the task! And my new identity shall be.....

(Homer gives himself a drumroll)

VIRGIL!
    dEoVuVB_d.jpg?maxwidth=280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Ah, you’ve been listening to cactus.
  • MittensMittens RabbleRouser,
    Chap pipes in, "So... you guys can call me... Paco. Paco it is. Nice to see you again Virgil. Damn, this will take some getting used to!"
  • DSDS Offishal
    “Hi Paco, lets get to these tasks!”

“Oh, yeah, I’m up for these tasks along with Virgil!”
  • JohnnyDollarJohnnyDollar RabbleRouser
    Lawrence here will get you sorted. Stay safe out there.

Lawrence nods to you and heads out the door.You follow him out.

"We've got a carriage that will take you guys to Mundo. A bit of a trek, but nothing too crazy. Once your'e there, you'll board a steamboat they've built. Here are the tickets."

He hands you an envelope.

"Give these to the man at the gate and you're good to go. The boat ride isn't too far either. Once you arrive, you can hoof it to La Quinta, it's not far. There's a resort there. That's where Rico saw the beast. Be safe out there."

About that time, you arrive at the buggy. You crawl in the back, and a Lawrence speaks to the driver.

"All good to go. Get back soon."

And off you go to Mundo.

Nelly,'s been pretty quiet, but sitting next to Lil Juvenal he speaks up.

"I haven't been sleepin much since we got back. I just keep seeing those people. My first time leaving town. And that happens."

He looks up at Lil Juvenal.

Horace
    "How about you Juvie?
    Horace
  • DSDS Offishal
    “I’ll never look at refrigerators the same.” Whispers Homer to himself

The joke breaks Nelly out of his mood.

"Ha, true that. Just glad that guy wasn't selling TVs."
    Horace
    "Homer, I mean Virgil,...you ever kill anybody before that?"
    Horace
  • DSDS Offishal
    “I killed a man in El Paso once.. he wasn’t necessarily a bad man, wasn’t necessarily a good man either, but he was a man, and he had a woman who was his wife, and that woman was beautiful. She told me that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me....

But he was in the way.”

• JuvenalJuvenal BabyGroot
    edited April 11
    I'd suggest creating fake identities so no one knows who you truly are.

Good thinking! I'll bard up a new disguise and be right with you.

[color=cornflowerblue][b][i]

[/b][/i][/color]

• DSDS Offishal
    “Women, am I right?”

"Wow, I've never even been in a fight before. Couldn't you two have just run off together?"
    Horace
  • DSDS Offishal
    "Wow, I've never even been in a fight before. Couldn't you two have just run off together?"

I....

I....

Didn’t even consider that option to be honest. I don’t really think things through.

• HoraceHorace BabyGroot
    edited April 11
    "How about you Juvie?

Juvie? The name is Horace.

[/b][/i][/color]

"Man, this whole secret identity thing is going to be tricky."
    Horace
    DS wrote: »

I....

I....

Didn’t even consider that option to be honest. I don’t really think things through.

Yeah, I noticed that at at the radio station.
    Horace
    So, did you guys know each other before you died?
    Horace
  • HoraceHorace BabyGroot
    So, did you guys know each other before you died?

My memory is still coming back after that... explosion? Wagon crash? See, I forget.

I remember a barrel of lube and something about a captain and there was some gingerbardman who kept appearing and disappearing.

[/b][/i][/color]

"Wow, a whole barrel. Hopefully you can remember the rest at some point. I'd love to hear how that goes."
    Horace
  • DSDS Offishal
    "I dont remember much about my death, other than it was painful and totally not cool at all."

"I remember something about a barrel of lube, as well as a wagon.. shit. We were all travelling together, so yeah I'd say we knew each other.. but like the others my memory is foggy at best."
  • HoraceHorace BabyGroot

Oh wait, before our death? Totally forgot we died. Yeah I was about to go on stage and then I was attacked by some... was it an alien?!?

Did we all die during the invasion?

[/b][/i][/color]

"A lot of people died during the invasion. All of your headstones had the date of the invasion as the day of death, so it's pretty likely."

Just then, the wagon stops. You hear voices talking outside and then the curtain is pulled back and a man sticks his head in the back of the wagon.

"HOWWWDYYY! Ya'll boys come to ride on ma stamboat?! Come on down!"

As you all jump out of the wagon, the man enthusiastically shakes everyone's hand.

"Name's Petey. Petey Barnum, and this here's my steamboat."

He motions behind him with his arm. And before you is a very large steamboat. And it's at this moment, that you realize that this is the biggest thing you've seen since you've come back alive. You are immediately struck with how little technology you've seen. The grand scale of life you were used to hasn't been there. No big vehicles. No big buildings. Nothing. And you haven't really noticed it. Until now. This is a behemoth in the world. This must have been what it was like to witness the Titanic or the Spruce Goose.

"Ain't she a beaut?"

As he walks you to the loading ramp you get a good look at the boat. It looks like a Frankenstein. A bit of this and a bit of that. Older metal. But a ship nonetheless. And an impressive one.

As you arrive at the ramp, there is a little girl with a white dress and flowers in her hair. She is about 6.

"And this here's my daughter. Petunia. Say hi honey."

"Hi," she says with her necklace pendant in her mouth.

"Take that out of your mouth silly."

She spits out the pendant and you can see it's a Mickey Mouse pendant.

She happily reaches out to grab the envelope from your hands and opens them and removes the ticket. She has a small table and she opens up an ink pad and grabs a stamp as big as her hand. She stamps each one with a bit of effort and hands it back to you. the stamp reads, "Port Out; Starboard Home."

"You're welcome!" she says and grins and you notice she is missing a few of her baby teeth.

Petey looks at you and smiles. "It's a family business."

"Honey, give them a quick tour and get back. We've got a few more tickets still coming."

Petunia grabs you by the hand and leads you onto the boat, pulling you with the enthusiasm of a child.

You come to the deck and you see a partially covered half at the front and an open seating area in the rear. There are about a half dozen people at the rear looking out at the scenery. Two men, A husband and wife with 2 kids. And young men who look to be in their 20s. Under the covered area are more seats and a small bar. There are two people sitting at the bar. What looks to be a husband and wife. They are toasting with champagne. Also under the covered area, near the front is the Captain's Chair, steering wheel and panel. A young man in uniform is checking the dials and making sure things are ready for the trip.

"This is where you can look at stuff and sit down. And you don't habe to be too careful cuz there's no big wabes."

She walks you across the deck and to the other side and down a set of stairs. As you walk down to the second level there is a guy at the bottom with a bucket of ice, waiting for you to pass. As you do, he nods and heads upstairs. As you enter, you see a grand dining room with many tables and a full kitchen. A hostess stand sits at the entrance, but is unmanned and the restaurant looks closed.

"Dis is where you eat. It's not open now. Sometimes it is. I don't know."

She leads you back to the stairs and down another level. This one has red carpet and wooden walls. Clearly a sleeper car level. She leads you half way down on the left side and opens one of the doors.

"This is your room." She looks at her hand and silently counts her fingers. "Number 4. You can put your suff or nap or sleep. But no playing."

She looks at you and waves and then runs back up the stairs.

What do you do or who do you talk to?
    Horace
  • HoraceHorace BabyGroot

Well. This is actually somewhat posh, considering the state of the world today. Who wants to join me topside to take in the view?

JohnnyDollar

[/b][/i][/color]

• DSDS Offishal
    “This is fancyyyyyyyy. Can we go up top and get something to eat? I am famished.”

Virgil and Horace make their way up to the top level. The change in brightness stings their eyes a bit, but quickly goes away. The ramp is now up and Petey is releasing balloons into the sky to applause. The couple at the bar kisses. Petunia runs up to her father and looks up immediately at the balloons and stretches her hands high as if to try and reach them. He grabs her hand and begins to walk towards the Captain's Chair. Petunia begins to skip and then so does Petey. He looks at you with a smile and shrugs the smile of a goofy father.
    Horace
  • DSDS Offishal
    edited April 26
    “Such a happy family” says homer

• HoraceHorace BabyGroot

So... how far to La Quinta?

[/b][/i][/color]

As you stand at the top of the stairs the group of 3 young men squeeze past you on their way down the stairs.
    Horace

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
Drop image/file