-=[ EGGS ONLY ]=-

CactusCactus RabbleRouser
in D&D
Okay, let's gameplan.
 
FREE DARRIN!!

Comments

  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    CURRENT STATUS
    Angus is free, armed, and holding a weapon for Pleyt
    Dawn is free, armed, and peeking out the southern door
    Pallando is free and listening to the goblins
    Pleyt is free and talking to the goblins
    Reynard is free and armed
    Talsam has wildshaped into a spider
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    PLANS THUS FAR
    1) CON -- We're the vanguard for a 300-strong expeditionary force. Kobolds are going to take us to their leader. No further details on this plan yet.
    2) AMBUSH -- When the guards come back, we attack. No plans yet for the goblins. No other plans past attacking.
    3) CONBUSH -- A combination of the above, where we continue the con... and then ambush?


    There seems to be a consensus building for the CONBUSH plan (Dawn+Pallando, especially).
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • MittensMittens RabbleRouser,
    Yes
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    ima find some relevant posts to get them all in one place
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    KCH1ASR.png

    So I've just been assuming that "yusadryl" is the leader, but it's not capitalized so who knows. Maybe it's glass globe they worship as a god. Maybe it's a nickname for Jot. No way of telling.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    Maybe @Sock can give some more detail on the CON plan, @DS can give some more detail on the CONBUSH plan, and I can give some more detail on the AMBUSH plan.

    AMBUSH
    It would be best to get most of the kobold guards in the room before springing the ambush. Just attacking the first one as they enter would only result in them camping the doorway as a bottleneck while they summon reinforcements. The goal should be to subdue the entire guard so that we can escape undetected. For this, we obviously need the goblins involved -- maybe not as allies, but at least on our side enough that they don't call out and betray us.

    We don't know how many guards will enter the room, but all that's really required is to stay between them and the doors. Dawn is already at the southern door, so that's covered. For the northern door, it would work beautifully for Talsam to drop behind the guards as they enter and then unwildshape as he closes the door. As long as Dawn+Talsam can hold their position, the guards should be trapped and we can make short work of them. Note that Talsam has a ranged attack (offensive cantrip) so he will never have to sacrifice an attack to remain at the door. It would be ideal to have Pallando at the southern door (for the same reason), but we might not have time to make the swap -- perhaps during the course of battle if Dawn ever finds herself out of range (and doesn't want to throw her dagger).

    SUGGESTED ACTIONS
    Angus -- Hand second weapon to Pleyt, sit down, appear to be bound, ready an attack on the signal
    Dawn -- Close door, sit down, appear to be bound, ready an attack against the first enemy to come within melee range
    Pallando -- Stay seated, appear to be bound, tell goblins we'll free them after the ambush, ready an attack on the signal
    Pleyt -- Take weapon from Angus, stay seated, appear to be bound, ready an attack on the signal
    Reynard -- Stay seated, appear to be bound, ready an attack on the signal
    Talsam -- Move over door, when last kobold enters, drop down, unwildshape, close door, give signal

    Obvious things include:
    -- this completely spoils the long con
    -- they might discover the ruse before the last one has entered the room
    -- we might not win the battle despite getting a surprise round

    Thoughts or suggestions about this specific plan? It would be good to improve it before rejecting it outright.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • DSDS Offishal
    i say we either go full in on the long con, or we let them come into the room, shut the door behind them and then take them hostage
    dEoVuVB_d.jpg?maxwidth=280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

    Ah, you’ve been listening to cactus.
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    DS wrote: »
    i say we either go full in on the long con, or we let them come into the room, shut the door behind them and then take them hostage

    Agreed. I like the CON plan the best, then the AMBUSH plan. I might like the CONBUSH plan better if I understood it.

    The hostage idea is a good one, though maybe start with the AMBUSH to show them we're serious and then when there's just 2-3 left, stop attacking and accept their surrender?
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • DSDS Offishal
    Cactus wrote: »
    DS wrote: »
    i say we either go full in on the long con, or we let them come into the room, shut the door behind them and then take them hostage

    Agreed. I like the CON plan the best, then the AMBUSH plan. I might like the CONBUSH plan better if I understood it.

    The hostage idea is a good one, though maybe start with the AMBUSH to show them we're serious and then when there's just 2-3 left, stop attacking and accept their surrender?

    Conbush is essentially just, stand up, show them that we are free, and we wont be taking any more shit from them because our army is on their way.

    Its an ambush because they are expecting us to be tied up and its a con because we are playing into Socks story
    dEoVuVB_d.jpg?maxwidth=280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

    Ah, you’ve been listening to cactus.
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    DS wrote: »
    Cactus wrote: »
    DS wrote: »
    i say we either go full in on the long con, or we let them come into the room, shut the door behind them and then take them hostage

    Agreed. I like the CON plan the best, then the AMBUSH plan. I might like the CONBUSH plan better if I understood it.

    The hostage idea is a good one, though maybe start with the AMBUSH to show them we're serious and then when there's just 2-3 left, stop attacking and accept their surrender?

    Conbush is essentially just, stand up, show them that we are free, and we wont be taking any more shit from them because our army is on their way.

    Its an ambush because they are expecting us to be tied up and its a con because we are playing into Socks story

    Okay, thanks, that makes sense. I guess I was thinking that was the CON since we're past ever pretending we're not free -- so your CONBUSH is my CON and I'm not sure there's actually a CON plan any longer.

    Basically, this all revolves around:
    1) When do we reveal that we're free
    2) How do we reveal that we're free
    3) When do we reveal that we're armed
    4) How do we reveal that we're armed

    AMBUSH says we reveal very soon, on a signal, by attacking
    CON says (I thought) that we don't reveal at all unless forced
    and so now CONBUSH is that we reveal immediately, but don't attack

    So the tradeoff between AMBUSH and CONBUSH is that we sacrifice the element of surprise for the possibility of peace. It could easily be that they just attack us when they see we're free. They could also refuse to take us to their leader if we're armed. But presumably, they're only coming via one door so if there's too much trouble, we could just escape out the other.

    Reynard likes the AMBUSH plan of Talsam suddenly unwildshaping behind the kobolds and trapping them in the room so we can slaughter them all.
    Cactus likes the CONBUSH plan of standing there, not concerned and not offended, waiting for our diplomatic meeting with their leader.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • DSDS Offishal
    i like the talsam wildshaping back behind them part, and that should be readied in the case of an attack
    dEoVuVB_d.jpg?maxwidth=280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

    Ah, you’ve been listening to cactus.
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    DS wrote: »
    i like the talsam wildshaping back behind them part, and that should be readied in the case of an attack

    Good idea, though maybe then we need a ruse to make sure they're all in the room first? If we're just standing there armed, they might back out of the room and call for reinforcements.

    Sidenote: one thing to add to the CONBUSH plan is that if they notice that Talsam is missing, we could just say we sent him back to alert the expeditionary force. Which of course, would just add to the surprise if they attack and Talsam appears out of nowhere to shut the door.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • DSDS Offishal
    sounds good to me
    dEoVuVB_d.jpg?maxwidth=280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

    Ah, you’ve been listening to cactus.
  • MittensMittens RabbleRouser,
    I like the plan of conning them and saying Talsam went to notify the army!

    We wait to ambush until after we see how they react
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    Okay, at this point I think we should wait for the others to catch up to the discussion.

    I'm leaning towards CONBUSH, though I'd like to hear an idea about how to make sure the kobolds either all enter the room (so we can ambush if necessary) or at least don't immediately back out of the doorway and call for reinforcements. There's a limit to how many we can handle.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    Whoops, forgot to refresh and didn't see this before my post above.
    Mittens wrote: »
    I like the plan of conning them and saying Talsam went to notify the army!

    We wait to ambush until after we see how they react

    Sounds good. And yeah, we don't need to plan out fifteen moves all at once, but how does this translate to our first round of actions? Should we ready attacks? Or just arrange ourselves? Reynard might grab a shield from the pile, at least.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    Cactus wrote: »
    DS wrote: »
    i like the talsam wildshaping back behind them part, and that should be readied in the case of an attack
    Good idea, though maybe then we need a ruse to make sure they're all in the room first? If we're just standing there armed, they might back out of the room and call for reinforcements.
    Cactus wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards CONBUSH, though I'd like to hear an idea about how to make sure the kobolds either all enter the room (so we can ambush if necessary) or at least don't immediately back out of the doorway and call for reinforcements. There's a limit to how many we can handle.

    If we're adopting the tactic of "putting on a tough face" then we can't do tricks like appearing to still be bound or pretending like one of us is sick or injured. So this really limits our options, but here's an idea --

    Perhaps one or several of us could be interrogating the goblins in an aggressive yet professional way. It's certainly something an expeditionary force would do. It would also be expected that professional soldiers such as ourselves would post someone at each door -- so it would fall to whomever is posted at the northern door to calmly greet the kobolds and lead them into the room.

    Here's what I propose:
    Pleyt -- let's just call you the leader, since you're the one who spoke initially
    Pallando -- you should be the interrogator, speaking to the goblins in goblin
    Dawn -- since you're already at the southern door, I guess just stay there
    Angus -- you need to give your second weapon to Pleyt, so stay near him like you're second-in-command
    Talsam -- hang out over the northern door, ready to drop down and shut it if necessary
    Reynard -- so that leaves me to be at the northern door, playing greeter with my 8cha
    

    So basically a trio in the middle (Pleyt+Angus+Pallando) with the goblins, Dawn at one door and Reynard at the other with Talsam on the ceiling. Or if we want the greeter to have more charisma, swap Reynard with Angus.

    The kobolds should all be stunned that we're free (let alone armed), but if the greeter turns his back to them as he calmly leads them in and the interrogation team is clearly unconcerned by the kobolds' arrival, we might prevent a panic. This is key, because if a panic is unavoidable, then conflict is unavoidable and we should just be ambushing.

    Thoughts? Apologies if this gameplanning seems excessive, but it should be most of the fun and otherwise we seem to have none of it.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • MittensMittens RabbleRouser,
    I like that but higher charisma may be helpful at the door. I really like the rest of that though
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    Let's clean up those actions. My proposal is:

    Pallando -- interrogate the goblins in goblin, loudly enough for the kobolds to overhear when they enter. ask about the size of the fortress, the cause of the dead goblins we've encountered, the reason for their incarceration, etc.
    Pleyt -- observe the interrogation, acting as the one in charge. when the kobolds enter, ignore them at first.
    Angus -- give spare weapon to Pleyt, then stand near him, acting as second-in-command. when the kobolds enter, ignore them at first.
    Dawn -- secure the southern door and guard it. when the kobolds enter, watch them calmly.
    Reynard -- wait by the northern door. when the kobolds enter, turn without speaking and usher them towards Pleyt.
    Talsam -- take position on the ceiling over the northern door. if the kobolds attack, drop unwildshaped to the floor and secure the door.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    Mittens wrote: »
    I like that but higher charisma may be helpful at the door. I really like the rest of that though

    so swap angus and reynard?
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • MittensMittens RabbleRouser,
    Thats my thought but it doesn’t matter all that much. Otherwise brilliant plan
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    my only concern there was not knowing how much we can do before the kobolds enter, though i would assume that angus would have enough time to hand a weapon to pleyt before guarding the northern door. definitely down to swap.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • TierTier Offishal,
    Just read title. Why am i not the only one here?
    Cactus
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    The gods have fallen silent.
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    gg rest of august
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    gg september
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    gg october
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    gg first half of november
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    THINGS WE MAYBE FORGOT ABOUT #1

    kZKzpyF.png
    tVY6RtP.png
     
    FREE DARRIN!!
  • CactusCactus RabbleRouser
    ANOTHER THING WE FORGOT ABOUT #2

    UDtn6AI.png
     
    FREE DARRIN!!

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
Drop image/file