Comments

• CactusCactus RabbleRouser

FREE DARRIN!!
  • DSDS Offishal
    thank god for no week 17 championships at least
    dEoVuVB_d.jpg?maxwidth=280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Ah, you’ve been listening to cactus.
    If you look at suggested schedules or actually do the math yourself, you should see the logic.

With 12 teams and wanting every team to play each other at least once, 2 divisions means playoffs start in week 12 and so you either have the entire league enter the playoffs (starting with a wildcard round and the championship in week 15) or you have fewer teams enter the playoffs and the season ends prematurely (e.g. if 75% of the league makes the playoffs then the championship would be in week 14). Either scenario makes having divisions pointless and the first scenario makes the regular season pointless.

Having 4 divisions means either the same situation above or you could have playoffs could start in week 15, where avoiding a week 17 championship means 4 teams enter the playoffs -- which is much close to the proportion of teams that enter the NFL playoffs (i.e. 12/32). The only way to have more teams enter the playoffs would be to have a week 17 championship or to follow the above scenario where divisions are meaningless (or at worst, promoting imbalance).

So that is why we have 3 divisions, where you play everyone in your division twice and everyone out of your division once. Note that all your out-of-division games are over the bye weeks, which means everyone will have their full roster available for the crucial division games. Note further that you have two runs of division games -- one at the beginning of the season (which tests your draft) and one at the end of the season (which tests your in-season management). Having half the division games at the end of the season means that no one will be locking up a playoff berth so early that other teams feel compelled to give up or firesale. And even if someone in your division got lucky with some wins, you're still in the hunt if you've been scoring well (i.e. go for the 4th seed).

Another option would've been to have a 10-team league with 2 divisions, which works perfectly with 6 teams entering the playoffs, starting with a wildcard round in week 14. Having 10 teams also eases the pressure on QB rostering and balances the superflex position a bit better, though sending 60% of the league to the playoffs isn't great. Still, it would be a way to trim the inactive/problematic teams and I'll consider it again next year.

FREE DARRIN!!
    DS wrote: »
    at least

I don't know what your other complaints are, but please direct them to Mittens or Terps.

If it's about the number of teams entering the playoffs, I'll remind you that you have to send an even number so the only reasonable options are 4 (what we have now) or 6 (half the league). Sending too many teams to the playoffs makes the regular season pointless and the entire season longer. Sending the top third of the league (what we have now) is aligned with what most sporting leagues do, and for good reason.

The schedule we have (including its trading and add/drop deadlines) is one that most 12-team expert leagues use.

FREE DARRIN!!
  • DSDS Offishal

• Couldn't be there live butt drafted a good team despite myself imo
  • Donut worry Mittens, you'll do fine relative to the rest of the league.
  • footballmadnessfootballmadness BabyGroot
    edited September 9
    Cactus wrote: »
    If you look at suggested schedules or actually do the math yourself, you should see the logic.

With 12 teams and wanting every team to play each other at least once, 2 divisions means playoffs start in week 12 and so you either have the entire league enter the playoffs (starting with a wildcard round and the championship in week 15) or you have fewer teams enter the playoffs and the season ends prematurely (e.g. if 75% of the league makes the playoffs then the championship would be in week 14). Either scenario makes having divisions pointless and the first scenario makes the regular season pointless.

Having 4 divisions means either the same situation above or you could have playoffs could start in week 15, where avoiding a week 17 championship means 4 teams enter the playoffs -- which is much close to the proportion of teams that enter the NFL playoffs (i.e. 12/32). The only way to have more teams enter the playoffs would be to have a week 17 championship or to follow the above scenario where divisions are meaningless (or at worst, promoting imbalance).

So that is why we have 3 divisions, where you play everyone in your division twice and everyone out of your division once. Note that all your out-of-division games are over the bye weeks, which means everyone will have their full roster available for the crucial division games. Note further that you have two runs of division games -- one at the beginning of the season (which tests your draft) and one at the end of the season (which tests your in-season management). Having half the division games at the end of the season means that no one will be locking up a playoff berth so early that other teams feel compelled to give up or firesale. And even if someone in your division got lucky with some wins, you're still in the hunt if you've been scoring well (i.e. go for the 4th seed).

Another option would've been to have a 10-team league with 2 divisions, which works perfectly with 6 teams entering the playoffs, starting with a wildcard round in week 14. Having 10 teams also eases the pressure on QB rostering and balances the superflex position a bit better, though sending 60% of the league to the playoffs isn't great. Still, it would be a way to trim the inactive/problematic teams and I'll consider it again next year.

Any Questions!?
  • kiolbkiolb BabyGroot,
    5pm cool draft time, bros
    DS
  • DSDS Offishal
    :kiolb:

• kiolbkiolb BabyGroot,
    trade me tbh
  • kiolb wrote: »
    trade me tbh

Trade you out of the league?
    edited November 20
    WEEK #12 PLAYOFF PICTURE

1) Mittens (division champ)
    2) Manny (division champ)
    3) Jwill (division champ)
    4) Darkus (wildcard, PF leader)

9s7Qwwe.png

But things are far from settled because the final three games are all in-division. There are only four teams that are more than three games back from their division leader:
    Primate
    Darren
    Darkus
    Butternuts

Of those teams, Darkus is the PF leader and currently bound for the playoffs. Darren, Primate, and Butternuts technically still have a path to the playoffs, but would need several miracles to get there.

One major twist would be if Tier beats Jwill this week and goes on to take the division. Assuming relative PF position doesn't change, this would make Jwill the wildcard, bumping Darkus from the playoffs.

FREE DARRIN!!
    This schedule worked out pretty well. Over 75% of the league is still in the playoff hunt so the final games will actually matter for most of the league, plus we passed the trade deadline right as certain teams dropped from contention. Perfect timing.

FREE DARRIN!!
  • Sorry to the rest of my division for doing so well.
    Sorry to the rest of my division for doing so well.

whotf are you

FREE DARRIN!!
  • TierTier Offishal,
    not sure how it could work out, but a 4 team playoff seems a little low, maybe?
    edited November 21
    Tier wrote: »
    not sure how it could work out, but a 4 team playoff seems a little low, maybe?

Fully explained here -- http://www.darkusblack.com/ffa/discussion/comment/13898/#Comment_13898

FREE DARRIN!!
    12-team leagues have weird schedules. It's easier with 10 or 14 or 16.

FREE DARRIN!!
  • forgot to set my lineup last week lol
    forgot to set my lineup last week lol

good thing you're in a wimpy division

FREE DARRIN!!
  • hey they did their best ok
    hey they did their best ok

they sure did.

FREE DARRIN!!
    A REMINDER ABOUT DRAFT ORDER

1) The previous champion gets lowest pick. For example, if the league structure doesn't change, this means that champion from this season will get 12th pick next season.

2) The remaining playoff teams will be randomly assigned to the next lowest picks. For example, if the league structure doesn't change, this means that the 3 playoff teams that weren't the champion will be randomly assigned to the 9th, 10th, and 11th pick next season.

3) The remaining teams will be randomly assigned to the remaining picks. For example, if the league structure doesn't change, the teams that didn't make the playoffs will be randomly assigned to the 1st-8th picks.

4) Note that this eliminates the incentive for tanking games to get a better pick.

5) Random assignment will be done via an online dice server.

6) This might help (assumes league structure doesn't change):
       # 1 -- random non-playoff team
       # 2 -- random non-playoff team
       # 3 -- random non-playoff team
       # 4 -- random non-playoff team
       # 5 -- random non-playoff team
       # 6 -- random non-playoff team
       # 7 -- random non-playoff team
       # 8 -- random non-playoff team
       # 9 -- random playoff team
       #10 -- random playoff team
       #11 -- random playoff team
       #12 -- previous champion

7) No whining.

FREE DARRIN!!
  • DSDS Offishal
    I think ive been eliminated from playoff contention so gl all!

• tfw lose kareem hunt and james conner lmao
  • primateprimate RabbleRouser
    Did I win?
  • primateprimate RabbleRouser
    I did OK at first, then kind of forgot about it.
    primate wrote: »
    I did OK at first, then kind of forgot about it.

you were missed

FREE DARRIN!!